Tom Willoughby, based in Northallerton, North Yorkshire was formed in 1896 and was incorporated in 1961.
Today we are one of the most successful privately owned construction companies in the North East and from our head office in Northallerton and regional office’s in Scarborough, Harrogate, Catterick and Leeming, we deliver a co-ordinated and seamless service to all our customers.
Tom Willoughby undertake contracts up to a value of £2 million across a variety of sectors including:
Education, Health Care, Leisure, Defence, Office, Public Service, Restoration, Retail
As part of the award-winning F.T. Construction Group we have a uniquely collaborative & flexible approach to contracting. We’re dedicated to delivering innovative build solutions and forming honest relationships with our clients and supply chain partners.
Each contract we take on is managed by a talented team who take the time to understand the project objectives, before delivering them in a responsible way that considers the local community and environment.
Walter Thompson although originally formed in 1920 began trading in earnest after the 2nd World War, building new housing estates, hospitals, schools and office accommodation. Predominantly working in Northallerton and the surrounding area Walter Thompson soon gained a reputation as a quality family builder and became one of Northallerton’s major employers.
During this same period a House Builder and General Contractor called George Fordy & Son of Teesside were also making their mark and gaining an enviable reputation not only as a house builder but working for local councils and Health Authorities alike. The company was established in 1908 and both companies often found themselves bidding for the same work.
Through strong family ties and following many successful years trading for both companies it became apparent that a merger would be both beneficial and cost effective working from one office, so in 1987 the FT Construction Group was formed using Construction House, Northallerton as its base of operations.
Walter Thompson continued trading as a General Contractor while George Fordy focused on House Building, Private Development and Property Investment.
Looking to expand into the Reactive and Planned Maintenance market the FT Group acquired Tom Willoughby Ltd in 1994. This local maintenance company also came with a long history of its own, working in and around Northallerton from as far back as 1896. It moved into its new premises on Standard Way, Northallerton back in the mid 1980’s and now has 5 regional offices in Scarborough, Harrogate and Catterick.
Langtons (Northallerton) Ltd was a local steel fabrication company working for mainly the farming community specialising in agricultural installations. This business was acquired by Walter Thompson in 1961 and following the move to its new premises on Finkills Way, Northallerton in 1975, the company then started to develop the steel fabrication side of the business to sit alongside its thriving products market. Following on from its 45 year stay at Finkills Way, Langtons have now moved into a fully equipped modern workshop based on Thurston Road, Northallerton. Langtons can trace its origins back to 1830 when it operated a forge and ironworks business on Friarage Street, Northallerton.
FT Group Timeline
1830 – Langtons (Northallerton) Ltd Established
1896 – Tom Willoughby Ltd Established
George Fordy & Son – Established in 1908
1920 – Walter Thompson Formed
1961 – Walter Thompson Acquires Langtons
1987 – FT Construction Group Formed
1994 – FT Group Acquired Tom Willoughby Ltd